Laser Hair remover method is used to get rid of unwanted hair. The treatment location includes armpits, legs, chin, upper lip and bikini line. Skin type and Hair color influence the success while opting for this technique. For example, this method is most effective in people who possess light skin with dark hair as laser beam targets melanin (the pigment) in hair.
The individuals who have dark skin can even attempt for this treatment, but the beam would affect melanin present in the skin.
In this medical procedure, an intense pulsating light beam is used to get rid of unwanted hair. A laser beam penetrates into the skin to individual hair follicle. As it carries intense heat, the laser beam damages the follicle to inhibit future growth of hair. By achieving adequate heating, the hair follicle can be permanently disabled to reduce hair growth.
However, this hair remover technique does not guarantee complete hair removal. Few hairs might be resistant to this treatment or sometimes grow again after the laser treatment.
Nevertheless, the new hair might grow lighter and finer in color. The common side-effects of this treatment include the following:
- Skin Irritation: Temporary scabbing, irritation or crusting
- Pigment changes: This hair remover method lightens or darkens the affected skin temporarily. This skin lightening is primarily affected to those individuals who have dark skin.
In rare cases, this treatment also causes scarring, blistering or any other changes in the texture of the skin.
However, if you are interested in this technique, you need to choose a certified Doctor who is specialized in cosmetic surgery or dermatology and also has enough experience in laser hair removal process.
Supervision of Doctor is necessary in case, the procedure is conducted by licensed nurse or physicians assistant and he/she needs to be present on-site throughout the treatment. It is highly recommended that you visit the doctor once before opting for laser hair remover technique due to following reasons.
- Review medical history including your medication use
- Discuss benefits, expectations and risks of laser technique
- Discuss treatment plan and costs involved
- Take photos for assessment purpose to show before and after treatment
The doctor would also advise specific tips to be followed to prepare for this treatment. This includes the following:
- Staying out of the sun: As tan either from exposure to sun or due to usage of sunless tanning products increases the danger of side effects like discoloration or blistering, it is advised to wait until tan fades away completely before undergoing this treatment.
- Avoid waxing, plucking and electrolysis: As these methods disturb hair follicle and also interfere with laser treatment, it is best to avoid them for effective treatment. However, shaving is recommended before the treatment
During this treatment, special goggles would be fitted to you to protect your eyes away from laser beam. After the treatment, you need to wash your face gently using soap and water. You need to avoid vigorously scrubbing in the affected skin. You should also avoid sun exposure for at least a week after this laser hair remover treatment.